Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting


Summary:
In a world where language divides the classes and everyone is expected to behave according to their stature in life, Charlie is no ordinary vendor’s daughter, she can understand every language she hears. Try as she might to keep her head down and avoid drawing attention to herself, she makes a potentially grave mistake one night when she overhears a handsome stranger speaking in a tongue she’s never heard before.

Review:
I used to refuse to read dystopian fiction. I know, I know. I was missing out on some really spectacular books and I have long since seen the errors of my ways. The thing is, I thought that they were just filled with death, destruction, and totally depressing themes. I might have had one bad experience with a book I will not name, for fear of reprisal, but now I know the real value of the genre is in the fantastic world building and the courageous characters.

The Pledge is no exception, I was pulled into Charlie’s world right away and I couldn’t stop reading until I knew what fate held in store for her. I loved Derting’s twist on language and its role as a barrier amongst people, but the happiest surprise was how brave and strong the minor characters turned out to be. I was biting my nails as much for them as I was for the main character. While I liked Derting’s The Body Finder series, I have to say this book takes her writing to a whole new level and I can’t wait for the next book!
Reviewed by: LostntheStacks

This is an advanced reader's copy from Simon & Schuster GalleyGrab. The Pledge will be released on November 15, 2011. Put your copy on hold today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...